Saturday, May 30, 2020

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter



The Goddess Test surpassed all my expectations!

I thought it would just be another boring romance, but it wasn't. It was fun to read, and actually had some action. 

Summary: 
    It's always been just Kate and her mom. Unfortunately Kate's mom is dying, and she has one request: to move back to her hometown. That means Kate is starting fresh at a new school with no friends or relatives to help her adjust. Out of the blue she meets Henry who claims to be Hades, the God of the Underworld. Henry gives Kate a bargain, if she can pass his tests, then he will keep her mom alive as long as possible. Kate doesn't believe him at all...until he brings someone back from the dead. If Henry can bring a dead girl to life, then maybe it isn't such a cray idea that he could save her mom. If Kate passes the tests and succeeds, she will be Henry's bride and goddess. However, what if she fails? 

Characters: 
    Kate: I liked Kate. I didn't love her as our h, but I liked her. She is very innocent, and naive; a little to innocent and naive. For example, at times she just didn't understand what was going on, or what was happening, even when people explained it to her. She also is just very naive, in the sense that she didn't seem to look around or observe anything different or unique. I liked that Kate had a backbone, and stood up to Henry, and some others, although not as much as I would have liked. 

    Henry: I also liked Henry, I didn't have as strong of feelings towards him, as I do with other book characters. He seemed too hot and cold. Henry is very indecisive, and doesn't know what he wants. For example, he constantly cannot decide if he likes Kate or not. Personally, I like the H knowing what he wants and isn't afraid of going after it. To me, Henry just seems very afraid, and wasn't all that interested in Kate. 

    The secondary characters: There were some characters I thought that did not really do anything for the book. They kind of just, were there. James, I do not get him. I liked him, but I didn't really get why he was there. 

The Plot: 
    The plot was really good. I loved the idea of blending the mythology and reality together. Aimee created a book that had Gods and Goddesses, and a realistic appeal to it. Kate and her relationship with her mom, and Henry are very relatable to people. I liked that Aimee emphasized the Kate/Hades relationship in her own way, and her own imaginations. Actually, all of the Gods and Goddesses. These aren't your standard twelve Gods, which I really liked. I liked that Aimee changed their personalities a little, and made them seem like real people. There were some great twists and turns that I didn't see coming, especially the ending!


Although, I doubt any of these characters actually exist! That would be cool though. 

The Chemistry: 
    I have a love/hate relationship with chemistry. I like the tension, and the build up towards the relationship. I feel like I got some tension and some build up, but not a lot. There were some moments that built up the tension, like the beginning of Kate's tests, and the ending. Oh the ENDING. What a great one that was! Overall, I feel that there was chemistry, and there wasn't.

Overall:
    I really liked the book, and I think it has great potential to be a spectacular series. The plot was very original and unique, which I loved. There were some good twists and turns that I did not expect. One of the things that could be improved, are some of the characters. Not that I don't like the characters, because I do, but Kate just seems too innocent and naive, and Henry just seems too indecisive for me. I give this book 3.5 stars, just because of the characters. But I’ll definitely read the rest of the series!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Villain by LJ Shen

  "As you know, clouds are more reliable than shooting stars. Common, but still magical. When the time comes and you grow up, ask for s...