Monday, June 1, 2020

Book Recommendation: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

So I read this book all the way back in 2014. About six years ago. That's crazy that time has passed so much since I read this book. 

Anyway, I originally read this book because I saw the movie and had a crush on Jaime Blackley. It was a small one, but I'm pretty sure anyone who saw this movie, had a small crush on Jaime. Raise your hand if you had a crush on him. *raises my hand as high as I can*

I decided to give this book a try, and I really liked it. I liked the story line, and I loved the ending! I don't know if it's just me (it usually is) but the ending was fantastic. The way Gayle Forman was able to create such a breathtaking ending, was incredible. 

Summary: If I Stay follows Mia, a gifted musician, with a family everyone longs for, and a boyfriend everyone wishes they had. Mia has to choose between following her dream of attending Julliard and becoming an accomplished cellist, or following her heart and staying with her family and the love of her life. Either way, there are positives and negatives with both choices. But then one morning, her entire life is turned around. Mia must answer the question that remains: Should I stay or should I go?  (anyone automatically think of the song by The Clash?)

Overall Review: 
This book is filled with everything from happiness, laughter, and love, to sorrow, tears, and loss. Forman is able to write a book filled with parallels to show readers that life has no opposite. There is no opposite for true love and life, because it is eternal. Forman writes such a breathtakingly beautiful story that has many readers and fans in tears. I loved the message she proves in this book, and the meaning behind life. 

Rating: I give this book 4.5 stars. I loved the characters, and the story Forman writes. It is just a masterpiece. I did not give it 5 stars because at some times I felt that the book had many memories strung together. Some of the memories just seemed kind of pointless to me. But still, I highly recommend this book, because this story touched my heart, and even today I think of this story. It leaves a lasting impact on you. 

1 comment:

  1. Jaime Blackley was legitimately my crush for a solid two years after this movie came out, I mean when he sang Heart Like Yours *swoon*. I haven't ever read this book though. I think in part that was because I was a bit annoyed with the ending of the movie. Do you think the book was better?

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: The Villain by LJ Shen

  "As you know, clouds are more reliable than shooting stars. Common, but still magical. When the time comes and you grow up, ask for s...