Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Blast From the Past: Tumtum and Nutmeg Series by Emily Bearn


Blast From the Past: 
    This series was one of my favorite children series I ever read. I read this series with my mom when I was really young and to this day, I still love it. Literally right after we finished this series, I searched the house for Tumtum and Nutmeg. I used to be jealous of Arthur and Lucy, because they had Tumtum and Nutmeg. ( Now, if I ever saw Tumtum or Nutmeg, I will scream! This actually happened unfortunately. There was a mouse in my room, and I was terrified. I did not sleep in my room for a whole week after the mouse.) 
    Back to the book now! ( I digress a lot.) This was such a fun adventurous book to read, especially at a young age. I remember being extremely entertained, and constantly wanting to read the book over and over. Tumtum and Nutmeg made me fall in love with reading. I loved the feeling this book created. 

Summary:
   "Deep inside the broom cupboard of Rose Cottage, two mice live in great style. Tumtum and Nutmeg lead cozy ad quiet lives, secretly looking after Arthur and Lucy, the disheveled human children of the cottage, never dreaming that so many exciting adventures will soon find them. But when evil Aunt Ivy, a squeamish schoolteacher named Miss Short, and pirating pond rats threaten the safety of those they hold dear, the courageous pair will stop at nothing to save the day. In three thrilling tales with charming illustration in every chapter, Tumtum and Nutmeg--along with the valiant efforts of veteran hero General Marchmouse, Ms. Tiptoe's bouncing ballerina army, and a team of caged gerbils--prove that small-size mice can have world-size hearts." 
                                                                        -Goodreads 

Review: 
     As I keep saying, this series is one of my favorite childhood tales, well other than Pippi Longstocking and Winnie the Pooh. These tales were very light-hearted, and charming. When I was younger, I was so engaged in this book, I wanted to keep reading until my eyelids were so heavy. The adventures Tumtum and Nutmeg went on, were so unique and original. The character and personality these two mice had, created such a fun and exciting environment. This book had everything. It had humor, adventure, character, fluidity, and so much more. I had so much fun when I read this book. I give it 5 stars because of how original the premise is, and how fun it was to read. 

After Reading: 
    I work at the YMCA with children, and whenever they ask me what to read next, I always say "Tumtum and Nutmeg". I mean, what's not to love? You have two very cute and charming mice that go on really fun adventures. I read this about 10-12 years ago, and I continue to remember how much I love reading this. I remember the nights my mom and I read this book together. I remember laughing at General Marchmouse, and Tumtum all the time. This is a book that lives on in your memory!

Advice: 
    I HIGHLY recommend reading this! Whether you read this book with your children, or by yourself, it is such a fun read no matter the age. There is something for everyone in this book; a little adventure, a little romance, and even some laugh at loud moments. 

Final Points:
    -Tumtum and Nutmeg is a really fun read for anyone. Their adventures together are really cute and funny. 
    -The story-lines are so original, and entertaining, you will never be bored. 
    -If you see a mouse in your house, maybe it's Tumtum and Nutmeg. (You never know...)
    -Go Read This Book!!!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Villain by LJ Shen

  "As you know, clouds are more reliable than shooting stars. Common, but still magical. When the time comes and you grow up, ask for s...