Friday, May 22, 2020

Book Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

                                                   
Ok So I know this book came out a while ago, and it got a lot of hype, especially from the Netflix Movie. But am I the only one that actually liked the book more? Don't get me wrong, I really liked the movie, but I just thought the book went a lot smoother and I could relate to the characters better. Anyway, let's get to this review! (even though it has been a while, oh well)

This book follows a young girl who is entering her junior year of high school, when her love letters (letters she wrote to her crushes when she was younger) were mailed. What's even worse, was that a couple people read them and then tried to talk to her about them. Uh oh. This is a disaster. 

To start off-the characters
    -I really liked Lara Jean, and what she represented. I thought she was very sweet, naive, innocent, and comedic. (Especially Lana Condor and the little faces and expressions she made). She loved to bake, which I easily relate to. The only difference is that she can cook well and I can't. LOL. I digress, anyway I liked how Jenny Han was able to create a protagonist that has flaws, and has a little bit of everyone in her. Whether it be a little uptight, and a rule-follower, or very sensitive and comedic.

    -Peter. Oh Peter, oh Peter. Are there any words to really describe you? I liked him and didn't at the same time. I do not know why, but there is something about him that I am not a big fan of. On the flip side, he can be very harming when he wants to be, especially to Lara Jean. I liked Peter the majority of the book, just not the last few chapters. He is a popular jock, with a lot of friends, but inside has a kind and caring personality. It just takes the right person to figure him out. 

    -The rest of the secondary characters made the book. Lara Jean's best friend, Christine, and her two sisters made it such a fun and unique atmosphere. The culture was also really cool. I liked in the book how it went into more detail about her culture, than it did in the movie. But I guess that is what the time limit is all about. Anyway, overall the character were very good, and very fun to read about. 

The CHEMISTRY:
    -Oh I felt it all right. The chemistry was very good, and there were some moments where even I was like should I be reading this because I feel like I'm intruding on something. :)) It was very clever and well written, the chemistry was a little more on the cute and flirty side, but i am just assuming that because it is a YA book. 

The Writing: 
    -I thought Jenny Han did an exceptional job with this book. The writing was very good, and the description was also very well written. It wasn't all description and details which I prefer in most cases. She didn't give you details the whole book, but rather a story, and a good one at that. Han did not have any grammar or spelling issues, so well done to her and her editing crew. I am never a fan of syntactical errors. 

 Plot: 
    -The plot was very good. I liked how they became pretend boyfriend and girlfriend, and that she had a list. I thought that was very funny and original. The beginning was grab worthy, but the ending I felt kind of lacked. The ending just seemed a little too fast for me. I would have liked a little more conversation, but that could very well just be me. 

Overall:
    -The book was very well put together. Not all authors have the ability to organize a book well and consistently, but Han did. The characters were generally likable, and the comedy aspect was very fun and I laughed a couple of times. 

Rating: 3.5 stars
    -I am giving this book 3.5 stars just because I felt like the characters could have been a little more built up, and that the ending felt a little rushed. However, definitely give this book a read if you like a cute, fun romantic comedy in a book. Also if you liked the movie too. I mean Noah Centineo, hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Villain by LJ Shen

  "As you know, clouds are more reliable than shooting stars. Common, but still magical. When the time comes and you grow up, ask for s...