Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Book Review: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott. Fitzgerald

                                             

Oh boy, this book. Prepare yourselves for a rant, because here it comes.





I have very mixed reviews of this book. I read it over the summer for summer reading in 9th grade, and then I reread it a couple months ago. I stand by my opinion in 9th grade: I dislike this book. I don't know why, maybe because I do not like the characters all that much. 

The concept seemed good, and I read it because it piqued my interest, but boy was I wrong. It was just weird to me, the characters were weird, and the concept was weird. It was well. . . weird. 



This book is about a man named Jay Gatsby, who hosts lavish parties in hopes of reuniting with his former lover. It is told in the perspective of Nick, Gatsby's nosy neighbor. 

I just have to say that there was something weird going on. For example, Daisy hits on her cousin, yet she is married to someone named Tom. But even that relationship isn't healthy. Tom and Daisy cheat on each other numerous times, and it seems to me that they do not even care. And do not get me started on the parties. 

Just what the heck? 



Characters:
    Nick: This guy, ughhhhhh. He just seems so dense to me. Nick tells this story in a way that makes me feel like he is the ultimate bystander. He just seemed to watch without doing anything. He knew what was wrong and right, yet he decided to do nothing. 

    Daisy: ARGHH, Anybody else not like her? *raises my hand as high as humanly possible*
Daisy just seems like a coward to me. She married for stability rather than to love, but she tells everyone how much she loves Tom. But it is just not portrayed that way to me. There were multiple moments in this book where I got very annoyed, like holy moly! I felt that Daisy was very snobby and weak. She did not seem to have a backbone at all.

    Gatsby: All I have to say is poor Gatsby. Why oh Why did you decide that it would be a good idea to try and win Daisy back? Even with all that money, and fame, she decided to pick the cheating as*hol* instead of you. That's unfortunate. In my opinion, Gatsby dodged a bullet. To me, Gatsby just seemed very sad and unhappy in life, which I understand. He went through a lot to get to where he is, and it still wasn't enough. 

The Writing: 
    The writing was very good, even though I did not like the book. Fitzgerald knew what he was doing when he wrote this book.There is not much more to say about the writing. It had a lot of details which I liked at times, but not at others. The party scenes had a lot of detail which I thought was very helpful because it emphasized his wealth,and how far Gatsby came. 

The Plot:
    I get the plot, and I understand it. I think if Daisy was portrayed a little better, then maybe I would have liked it more? I know that this book portrayed people certain ways, but meh. I just did not like it. 

Overall: 
    I did not like it. Could you guess that? I felt like there was hardly a relationship between Daisy and Gatsby at all. I understand that Fitzgerald was criticizing the "American Dream" and the superficial parts of that era, but I just did not like it. However I will say, I had this book as my school project. We were suppose to analyze this book in "great depth" which I loved. I enjoyed analyzing this book, just not reading it. 

Rating: I give this book 2 stars. I loved analyzing it, but did not like the actual reading part. I did not feel anything while reading this. I didn't feel the excitement I usually do for a 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Villain by LJ Shen

  "As you know, clouds are more reliable than shooting stars. Common, but still magical. When the time comes and you grow up, ask for s...