Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Blast From the Past: Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin




Blast From the Past:
     I read this book all the way back in 2009 with my mom. Every night she would read me a chapter of the book, up until we finished it. I loved it. Then I reread this book by myself in 2014. I loved it even more because I understood it a lot more. I used this book in countless school projects and research papers as well. 
    This book actually got me into mythology. I read all about Chinese mythology, then I widened my horizon. I learned about Greek mythology, Egyptian Mythology, and Norse Mythology. I loved them all. My love of mythology got so big that I decided to write a book using all the stories and gods, but that clearly didn't happen. I look back on this book with great fondness. This introduced me to my culture, a culture I learned about, especially the fun and interesting side. My love of dragons came out of this book, and now they are my favorite animal, even if they do not exist. (In my head they do :D). 
    I love this book and the way Lin incorporated the Chinese myths into Minli's journey. 

Summary:
    Minli, a young girl, and her parents live in the valley of Fruitless Mountain. She spends her days working in the rice fields, and her nights listening to her father's stories about the Old Man on the Moon, the Jade Dragon, and many others. However Minli's mother believes these stories are all just nonsense, and wants Minli to focus on the fields, but Minli doesn't agree. She believes these stories and embarks on a quest to find the answer to her question: How can her family change their fortune? On this quest, she encounters an assortment of characters and creatures, including a Dragon, who decides to join Minli. 

Review:
    This book was soooo good. I loved it. Lin incorporated many myths and characters in a phenomenal way. There were so many stories that all added. But each one was different, in a perfect way. Each character Minli met along the way had their own story and myth, which I thought was incredible. All the characters made the story, and I even loved Minli's parents adventures too. It is such a good read for anyone, at any age. I cannot recommend this book enough. It has everything in it: A magical cast, enchanting stories, long lasting messages and themes. To put it simply, just read it. You will not regret it. I give this 5 stars, it was THAT GOOD. 

After Reading: I still think about this book and the stories today. I loved them and cannot get enough. I won't spoil the book, but my favorite stories are towards the end. The actual ending was so fantastic, and so put together, it was like watching everything come together. It was a masterpiece. I do not know how else to tell you about this book. I loved it as a child, and I still love it now. 

The Message:
    The messages in this book are so important! I loved how Lin was able to show a complete spectrum on Minli, and her journey. From the beginning to the end, this book tied it all together with each new story. 

Final Points:
    -This book helped me understand and accept my culture. It influenced my life so much, and I am forever grateful. 
    -I loved reading this book. It was just such a fun read. I fully enjoyed myself reading this book. I smiled, and laughed at times. It was THAT GOOD. 
    -Everyone should read this book, because it will take you on a journey to discover Minli, and yourself along the way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Villain by LJ Shen

  "As you know, clouds are more reliable than shooting stars. Common, but still magical. When the time comes and you grow up, ask for s...