Monday, August 10, 2020

Book review: Present Perfect by Alison G. Bailey

                       “I’ve been unsure about many things in my life except for one thing, that I have always loved him. Every single minute of every single day that I have been on this earth, my heart has belonged to him.” 


I started and finished this book in ONE WHOLE DAY! There is so much emotion and depth in this book, it’s hard to put it down. I’m always a huge fan of friends to lovers, especially best friends to lovers, and this book was no exception. It had everything, the angst, heartbreak, emotions, etc. 




Summary: 



He was my first friend, my best friend, and my first love. Noah Stewart was my everything. Standing tall with his dark handsome features, he was as beautiful on the inside as he was on the outside. Noah was perfect in every sense of the word. He wanted us to be together, and we should have been together. Except I wasn’t good enough.


I knew if I dared to cross that line with him, I’d do something to screw things up and lose him forever. I couldn’t take that chance. I wouldn’t take that chance. A life without Noah was not a life I wanted to live. So, I kept my feelings in check and didn’t allow them to ruin us.


But sometimes life slaps you in the face, forcing you to pay attention, and stop wasting what time you have left.


The only thing in life that’s perfect is the present, because it’s our only guarantee. 




Characters:


Amanda: I have a love/hate relationship with this character. I understand and feel her pain of not living up to her sister, but I feel like that was just an excuse. Amanda constantly pushes Noah away for no particular reason. At times I was annoyed with her because she just made some really dumb decisions that I didn’t agree with. For example, she uses her sister’s relationship as a guide to her and Noah’s. I just don’t understand that, because she didn’t seem to look up to her sister all that much.


Noah: I like Noah. He is a really sweet boy. I love how he cares and waits for Amanda to be ready. He doesn’t really push for anything without her permission. It was super sweet and cute to read about. He is funny, caring, and loyal throughout the whole novel, which I love!


Plot:


I love the message this book sends: “ Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Stop living in the shadows of other people.” The characters grow a lot, and continue to grow, learning more about themselves and each other.


The friendship in this book is just so sweet and wholesome. It is really well written! You feel all the emotions in that friendship. 


Perfection can be a lot for people. Some need to be perfect at everything, and that’s just not possible. In this book, perfection played a huge part. It broke two people apart for so long. 


There is a huge shift in the second half of the book that sometimes made me feel like I was reading a second book. The characters are still the same, but there are other factors that take place which definitely changes things. It makes the story a lot more angsts than before. *cue emotional wrecks*


Rating:


I give this book 3 stars! Everything just comes together at the end of the novel in a really good way.


I like Noah and the secondary characters, but I had my problems with Amanda. She seems extremely stupid at some points in the book that I couldn’t fully wrap my head around it. 


The plot was fascinating and well written. I would definitely read more books by this author.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Villain by LJ Shen

  "As you know, clouds are more reliable than shooting stars. Common, but still magical. When the time comes and you grow up, ask for s...