Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Blast From The Past: Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger



I loved this series with my whole heart back in junior high. These books were the reason I stayed up all night reading, instead of studying and finishing my homework. I grew so attached to these characters, that one of my friends drew a picture of the protagonist for my birthday.

Even though this series is very long, so long I haven't even finished reading it, it will forever hold a place close to my heart. 

Back in junior high, I tried starting a book club in which we would read a book a month. The first two books we read were Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass, and Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger. Basically, I was obsessed with this series. 

I had such an obsession that me and my friend planned to make this book into a movie. We had pieces of script written, and costume designs done. We even cast out family as the characters. However, that never happened. But could you imagine if it did? I could've been the next best director. :))

Even though I am older now, I still remember the series and how much fun I had reading it. The story is so original that it piques most everyone's interest. I even made my grandparents and family members read the first book in the series. 

Summary: 

                                    "Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She's a Telepath--someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It's a talent she's never known how to explain. Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there's a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known. Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come "home". There are secrets buried deep in Sophie's memory--secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans--that other people desperately want. Would even kill for. "

Review:

    To me, this is a lot like Harry Potter. It is a world completely unknown to the normal "muggle". There is magic, school, and drama for everyone. The setting changes a lot, but the school is a major one. Tons of stuff happens at school, some scary, and some so funny you can't help, but chuckle to yourself. 

    Just like Harry Potter, Sophie is completely new to this world, and finds friends to help her out. While there are a lot of similarities between this and Harry Potter, there are a lot of differences. In this book, the magical powers are very different, and the characters are also different. The content, like the action and suspense is very good, and original. I love it, and I suggest you pick it up! 

    More importantly. it has a strong heroine that just melts the hearts of everyone reading this. She is strong, caring, and a genuinely good person. I seriously recommend reading this series!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Villain by LJ Shen

  "As you know, clouds are more reliable than shooting stars. Common, but still magical. When the time comes and you grow up, ask for s...